Masks for Arlington
The City of Arlington recommends that all citizens comply with the Snohomish Health District’s and the CDC’s recommendations to cover their faces while in public (during grocery shopping and other essential errands) during our Stay Home, Stay Healthy efforts to contain the COVID-19 coronavirus.
Why wear a face cover? When you are in a location where it is difficult to stay more than six feet apart, wearing a face cover can help reduce the likelihood that you are spreading COVID-19. You should still maintain distance as much as possible. While wearing a face cover, avoid touching your face. Wash your hands frequently. For safety reasons, children under the age of 2 should not wear a face cover.
Face covers can be made from any tightly woven, breathable, and washable material. They should fit over the area from the bridge of the nose to the chin, and from one cheek (past the corner of the mouth) to the other, with no gaps when the person moves or speaks. The CDC has guidance here on how to properly make a cloth face cover.
Masks for Arlington:
- Receive a Mask: If you are unable to make your own face covers, you may pick up two per person (subject to availability) at the Arlington Community Food Bank at 19118 63rd Avenue in Arlington (near the airport and Arlington Fire Station 47). Please check the website for availability before you drive over. Monday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Note that this is the same as food distribution time, so please be patient.
- Donate Masks: If you would like to make face covers to donate to this community project, please contact Jen Egger via Masks for Arlington on Facebook. This grass-roots group has already made and donated hundreds of face covers locally, and they have our heartfelt thanks and admiration for their community spirit of helping others.
Starting now, completed masks can be dropped off at Arlington Community Food Bank (19118 63rd Ave NE- near the Airport). Please go to the back of the building and look for the bin marked "Masks for Arlington". Please try to drop off during the hours when they are NOT actively distributing food (Not on Monday and Friday, 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and Wednesday from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m)
Masks for Arlington webpage
Instructions for handling and care:
- If you donate face covers:
- After you finish making cloth face covers, put them in the washing machine and wash with hot water and detergent.
- Wash your hands thoroughly. Transfer covers from washer to dryer. Dry on high heat.
- Once the covers are dry, put on your own face cover and thoroughly wash your hands again – at least 20 seconds of scrubbing all over your hands with soap and warm, running water – before you remove the cloth face covers from the dryer. Place them directly from the dryer into a re-sealable plastic bag.
- Seal the bag and do not open it. Deliver the sealed bag to the local food bank.
- If you use a donated face cover:
- You should pick up the cloth face covers, in a resealable plastic bag, during regular distribution hours at the local food bank. Once you have the covers, wash them using hot water and detergent, or hand wash with hot water if a washing machine isn’t available.
- Wash your hands after handling the face covers.
- Dry the covers on high heat or leave in a warm, dry place until they are no longer damp. You can iron them to help keep their shape.
- When not in use, store cloth face covers in a clean, dry place. A re-sealable bag or container works great.
- Wash and dry the covers after each use. We recommend having at least two per person so one can be used while the other is being washed.
- Once a cloth face cover is showing signs of wear or is no longer holding shape to securely cover the mouth and nose, throw it away.