How is the impervious surface measured?

In order to determine how much impervious surface is on a piece of developed property, the City utilized Geographical Information System (GIS) maps of our area to determine the total square footage of the impervious surface on a parcel and the actual lot size. Because lot sizes and impervious surfaces vary from residential parcel to residential parcel, the Council and the Stormwater Rate Structure Committee decided to establish an Equivalent Service Unit (ESU) of 6,000 square feet as the base unit/residential unit. Every Arlington home or equivalent residential unit is equal to one ESU.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I go for more information?
2. Are there any possible credits available?
3. How much hard surface area is an ESU?
4. How is the impervious surface measured?
5. Where can I get a copy of the Arlington Design and Construction Standards?
6. How do I schedule an inspection?
7. Why should I pay for rain falling on my property?
8. How will we be able to see where our money has been going, and what will the priorities be?
9. What is the City currently doing about these problems?
10. Why is storm water such a problem?
11. What is the city’s responsibility for storm water?
12. Are there any credits available to senior citizens or low-income residents?
13. What is a Storm Water Revenue Fund?
14. How does the Stormwater Utility work?
15. Why do we need to spend more for storm water?
16. How is a storm water user fee charged?
17. Why should I have to pay? I live on a hill and have no drainage problem.
18. I have a septic tank. Why should I pay this fee?
19. How is the Stormwater Utility collected?
20. How are differences between parcels determined?