My storm water rate is incorrect, how do I get it changed?

The City’s goal is to make the process as fair and equitable as possible and recognizes that mistakes sometimes happen. If you feel your bill is incorrect, you can fill out an adjustment request and the City will review your adjustment application and provide you with a credits for any overcharges your account has incurred.

Information Collected by the City

If your problem cannot be dealt with via the adjustment application, the city will review your case by collecting the following information.

  • Utility Account Number
  • Account Customer Name
  • Account Address
  • Follow up Contact Name
  • Follow up contact Number
  • Problem / Issue

The City will research your account and contact you ASAP to provide you with an update or solution.

Show All Answers

1. Who has to pay the Stormwater Utility fee?
2. Why are churches and schools being billed?
3. I have a retail store in a shopping center and currently receive a water bill. Will I get the stormwater bill as well?
4. What is an Equivalent Service Unit (ESU)?
5. What is impervious area?
6. What is considered residential unit?
7. How are residential fees determined?
8. Why should I pay if there is not storm water inlet in front of my property?
9. My property retains water, why should I pay?
10. What about my private stormwater management system?
11. Why do we not charge properties upstream (that discharge to the City)?
12. Why enact a storm water utility fee instead of raising property taxes?
13. Why is this issue being addressed at this time?
14. When will the Utility be started?
15. My storm water rate is incorrect, how do I get it changed?