Can you turn on my water?
  • If you are moving into a residence or a business, please call Utility Billing at the Finance Department at 360-403-3421 to start an account.
  • If you have finished doing repair work, please call the Public Works Department at 360-403-3526.

Show All Answers

1. What will it cost me to connect to water and/or sewer?
2. What are surcharges?
3. Can you shut off my water?
4. How much are your water and sewer connection fees?
5. What do I have to do to connect to city water and sewer utilities?
6. Can you turn on my water?
7. Can I pay half of my bill now and half next month?
8. Why is my first bill so high?
9. How can I figure out how many gallons I used, since my bill is in cubic feet?
10. I am leaving town for a few months, do I have to keep paying the minimum?
11. Who do I call if I discover a problem with my water or sewer service?