204th St NE / 77th Avenue NE Roundabout
The City of Arlington is upgrading the intersection at 204th Street NE and 77th Avenue NE with the installation of a roundabout to improve vehicle safety and mobility through the intersection. Additional project benefits include improved pedestrian crosswalks, street lighting, transit stop pullouts, and site amenities and landscaping to enhance this neighborhood gateway.
- Improved pedestrian safety
- Improved mobility
- Enhanced bus stops
- Improved street lighting
- Community gateway
Project Cost and Funding
- Estimated project cost $3.6 million
- Funding sources:
- Grant from Washington State Transportation Improvement Board (TIB)
- Growth impact fees
- City of Arlington Funds
- Puget Sound Regional Council
- Design summer/fall 2019
- Construction during summer 2020
Coordination with Local Businesses and Residents
Regular schedule updates will be provided to keep local businesses and residents apprised of progress on the project. Potential impacts to vehicle and pedestrian travel, as well as business and community transit access will be minimized during construction as much as possible.
If you have questions or concerns on this project, please contact the City Project Hotline at 360-403-3544 or email@example.com.
- December 11, 2020 - Depending on weather, you should start to see many changes on the south side of the intersection over the next few weeks. The contractor will start installing the 204th Street road base, the concrete flat work (sidewalks, curbs and ADA ramps), and the south portion of the roundabout island. Starting next week a truck detour route will be put in place for trucks heading east bound on 204th Street. This detour must stay in place until the contractor pours the south side roundabout apron and it cures (hardens) for a minimum of seven days.
- Reece Construction will be pouring the curb, gutter, and center apron on the south side of 204th tomorrow 12/29. Please expect delays during this process. Large trucks will not be permitted to travel east bound on 204th until the apron is fully cured (approximately one week). Delivery trucks will be allowed to access businesses on 77th Ave with a right in/right out only. Please see truck detour map for alternative routes.
- December 30 - The contractor is pouring the splitter islands on 77th Ave and the east side of the 204th roundabout today, and re-pouring the center island curb and gutter. There will be flaggers onsite over night to help assist trucks with the detour.
- January 11 - This week at the 204thSt Roundabout project, the City’s contractor Reece Construction, will be doing the following work (weather dependent): Tuesday - asphalt grinding and roadway preparation, Wednesday – pave the base layer of roadway, Thursday – install temporary striping
- January 15 - Reece will be working on Monday, January 18th to finish up concrete work, Traffic Control will be in effect. Please expect delays.
- January 19 - Over the next two weeks the traffic control plan will remain in place during working hours while the contractor finishes the ADA ramps, pours the last bit of concrete for the sidewalks and center island apron, paves the west entrance to McDonald’s/Chevron and brings in the topsoil for the landscaping. At that point the roundabout will be fully functional. Starting in February, the current traffic control plan will be removed, except for occasional work until the weather permits the final paving and installation of permanent striping, and landscape plants.
- February 18 - Starting Monday February 22nd, the City’s contractor will begin installing the street lights in the 204th St roundabout area, work is scheduled to be complete by the end of the week. There will be short periods of flagger controlled traffic to accommodate this work. Please be cautious when driving through this work zone and be courteous to the workers. The final paving is still on hold until the weather permits, estimated to be around early spring.
- March 11 - On Friday, March 12th the City will be installing art work in the roundabout island. This work is anticipated to start at 7:00 am and last for a short period of time. During this work there will be flagger controlled traffic for west bound and south bound travel while moving the art into place.
- March 12 - On Tuesday, March 16th the City’s Contractor, Reece Construction will begin the final paving of the 204th St Roundabout. This work is estimated to start at 10:00 am on Tuesday and continue into Wednesday. Traffic will be flagger controlled during paving, and will shift to the north or south side depending on paving location. Once paving is complete, Reece will come back to perform the final striping. Please expect delays and add additional time to your commute when driving in this area on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- March 22 - Tomorrow, Reece Construction will begin to install striping in the roundabout area. Traffic will be flagger controlled during the construction hours of 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. This work is anticipated to last one day only and will be weather dependent. Please expect short delays when traveling in this area. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-403-3506.
- March 30 - Due to weather conditions last week, Reece Construction was unable to lay the crosswalk striping. Tomorrow, they will return to stripe the crosswalks. Traffic will be flagger controlled while work is performed. You may encounter delays when traveling in this area. This should be the last significant traffic impact before project completion and is weather dependent. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>