40th Ave / SR 531 (172nd ST) Intersection
The City of Arlington will be installing a traffic signal at the intersection of 40th Ave and SR 531 with a solid median between 43rd Ave and Smokey Point Blvd. Specific project components include traffic signal with protected left-turn movements, ADA compliant pedestrian crosswalks, enhanced intersection lighting, replacement of left turn lane with solid median for corridor safety, and bus stop pull outs.
Click here to receive email updates on this project.
- Enhance pedestrian safety
- Improve traffic safety and mobility
- Add bus stops
Project Cost and Funding
- Engineer’s Estimate: $1,845,515
- Project Cost: $1,817,509
- Washington State Transportation Improvement Broad Grant: $1,120,000
- City of Arlington funds: $697,509
- Design: Spring-Fall 2020
- Estimated bid time: Summer 2021
- Construction: April 2022
Community Outreach & Coordination
Regular schedule updates will be provided by the city to keep local businesses and community apprised of the project progress and any potential impacts.
If you have questions or concerns on this project, please contact the City Project Hotline at 360-403-3544 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TIB Award Letter
- Conceptual Plan 1
- Conceptual Plan 2
- Channelization Plan
- Project Flyer
- Project Summary
- Certified Bid Tab
To translate documents, download the document then click the link: https://translate.google.com/
- Design contract awarded to Perteet Engineers
- Interactive Webpage: https://bit.ly/40thAveIntersection
- August 31 - Bid Opening
- September 21 - Bid Awarded to Interwest Construction
- March 23, 2022 - Estimated construction start date is April 4, 2022.
- May 6, 2022 - Next week work will continue on the installation of the electrical conduit, fine grading for the curb and sidewalk on the SE corner, and begin formwork for curb and sidewalk on the NW, NE and SW corners. Left turns heading north from 40th Ave onto 172nd St will be prohibited while this work is being completed. Please expect delays in travel times and continue to drive slowly through construction zones for everyone’s safety.
- May 13, 2022 - Next week work will continue with the electrical conduit installation. All traffic movement will be open at the intersection of 40th and 172nd St. Please continue to expect delays in travel times.
- May 20, 2022 - Next week work is scheduled for Monday through Thursday during the night hours of 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM. Work will include the relocation of an existing fire hydrant, initial paving, and median removal. Please expect delays in travel times along with short lane closures when the work area is changing.